Thursday, 22 February 2007

What gives you life?


It's such a busy time, but I couldn't do without my walk.

Five hours' sleep last night, and plenty to get on with today, but walking is one of those things that gives me life.

Walking reminds me I am alive. The fresh air, the movement, and the other people on the road. Saw some great smiles this morning!

I also love the opportunity to listen to podcasts while I walk. This morning I heard two motivating, inspiring interviews:

  1. How to influence upward - Anna Farmery's interview with Marshall Goldsmith, who wrote the book How to influence upward. Did you know that people spend an average of 10-15 hours a month complaining about their boss? Marshall talks about how that energy can be redistributed more productively.
  2. From the author of Fish!, a new book, Cats! The Knowledge Gym's Mike Doughty interviewed Dr Steven Lundin about stimulating genuine innovation and fun at work. I really like where this guy's coming from. Why Cats? Because they're curious, and according to Dr. Lundin, that's the best place to start with innovation!
I'm discovering that I can't afford not to partake in these life-restoring activities like walking, prayer, listening to music, and even making some of my own (okay, so sometimes the result is not pretty, but it's therapy, okay?)

Have a great day, and don't forget to do what gives you life!

No comments: