Thursday, 22 November 2007

Categorisation and Miscellany

I've just been skim-reading the list of Web 2.0 Lists. Fascinating.

It's a great ready reference - I added it to my Del.icio.us bookmarks straight away - but it also reflected some of the desperation we are collectively feeling about information anxiety.

I've been facing the same challenge close to home, as we've been working on nailing down our SimonYoungWriters service offering to a product set.

So now, instead of just saying "we'll write whatever you need written" (which is still true) we're now offering newsletters, articles, press releases, website copy, brochures, instruction manuals - etc., etc. Watch the SimonYoungWriters site for the changes soon.

But as I was imposing this order on apparent chaos, my mind was raging. This may help stimulate people's imagination to see what we can do for them, but it doesn't really reflect the service we provide.

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle.

On the one hand, I've got the old, product-centric way of thinking. If I want to streamline my business, I need to turn it into a factory, making standardised products.

On the other hand, I'm the guy who wrote the article on Service-Dominant Logic, which says we've got it all wrong with this product-centric thinking. I'm also a fan of what I've heard of David Weinberger's book Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder. Certainly a related YouTube video strongly resonates with me.

Stratifying leads to fossilising. That makes sense to a part of me, but putting the other point of view into action is proving difficult.

I guess I need to keep searching. Read some of the academic papers and case studies, get Weinberger's book (anyone want to get me one for Christmas?)

No comments: